Welcome to the NewCars.com website.
When you fill out our quote request form, we match you with dealers in our affiliated network located in your area. We then transfer your name, phone number, street address, email address and any additional information you provide to these affiliated dealers. If we cannot find an affiliated dealer in your area, we transfer your information to a third-party provider, which will process your request through its own dealer network. In either case, a dealer representative should contact you by phone or email to discuss your car quote request. After the initial contact or during any other subsequent contact, you may inform the dealer you no longer wish to be contacted by him or her. It is solely the dealer's responsibility to comply with your request. Similarly, if we transfer your information to a third-party provider in order to carry out your request, you may also be contacted by that provider. You may inform the third-party provider you no longer wish to be contacted. It is solely the third-party provider's responsibility to comply with your request.
The Site currently collects personally identifiable information in one of two ways: (1) through your voluntary submission of a quote request form or (2) through your voluntary submission of a "contact us", "get more information", or other similar form(s) available on the Site. When you request a quote, the types of information that we collect in conjunction with a quote request may include your name, address, phone number, email address and information regarding the particular vehicle(s) that you are interested in. in most cases you must provide all required fields of information for your request to be processed. The types of information we collect on the "contact us", "get more information", or other similar form may include your name, dealership name and address, phone number, and email address.
The Site automatically collects information and may also customize your visit through technical means, including the following:
Cookies: Cookies are small text files that are placed on your computer's hard drive by computers (or servers) to identify your computer.
Web Beacons: Web beacons (also known as pixel tags, internet tags, clear GIFs, or single-pixel GIFs) are electronic images embedded into a webpage.
IP Address Logs: Cars.com also logs Internet Protocol (IP) addresses - the location of your computer on the internet – and may log device ID and information about your browser or operating system.
Personally Identifiable Information: Personally identifiable information collected by Cars.com through your use of the Site, through your providing an email address to receive promotional or other communications via email, or through your providing a mobile number to receive coupon(s) or other communications via call, text or SMS, may be stored on servers or in a cookie on your computer and may be used by Cars.com for any of the following purposes:
To confirm or fulfill a request that you make (e.g., in order to send you a price quote or other information you have requested, Cars.com may share your contact information and content interests with a participating Cars.com dealer and/or manufacturer). For example, when you submit a quote request, you may receive the following email notifications from us: (1) if your car quote request was processed successfully, we will give you information about the affiliated dealer(s) to whom we sent your request; (2) if we cannot find an affiliated dealer that is able to fulfill your request, we may give you information about the third-party provider to whom we sent your request; and (3) if your car quote request could not be fulfilled by an affiliated dealer or a third-party provider, we may refer you to one of our online partners. We, and in some instances, our Sales Representatives, also may contact you to learn more about your experiences in using the Site and our service. With respect to any commercial email marketing from us, you will have the opportunity to unsubscribe from such communications at any time.
To deliver coupons and other marketing communications via text or SMS, which, by providing your mobile number to Cars.com, you have expressly consented to receive.
To follow up on any request that you have previously made (e.g., Cars.com may contact you to determine whether the dealer and/or manufacturer responded to your original request).
To communicate with you regarding the Cars.com service (e.g., Cars.com may send you emails or call you to confirm a price quote request or to notify you that you have received a lead regarding a vehicle you have advertised or to request that you participate in a survey).
To send promotional materials, newsletters or other content via email, text message, or otherwise. If you no longer wish to receive a particular email newsletter or other promotion from Cars.com, you must follow the opt-out instructions included in such email newsletters, text messages, and promotions.
To permit third party sales representatives to sign up affiliated dealers in certain areas. In the course of working with these affiliated dealers, these Sales Representatives may have access to the personally identifiable information that you provide.
To permit third parties (to whom Cars.com may disclose personally identifiable information specifically for direct marketing purposes) to send you promotional or informational messages, but if contact is via phone or SMS only if you have first affirmatively agreed to receive such messages. You agree that the seller or other third party may use an autodialer to text or call, and that a portion of any call may be pre-recorded.
To improve your user experience.
To assist in Site administration, reporting, analysis, research, development, optimization and other internal purposes, including, without limitation, to compile Usage Data.
To respond to legal process, to investigate illegal activity or unauthorized use of Site, or in connection with the sale of all or a part of our business.
Usage Data: Usage Data is used by Cars.com for administrative, analytical, research, optimization and other purposes. For example, Cars.com may use statistical analyses of Usage Data in order to measure interest in the various areas of the Site, for development purposes and to inform advertisers and partners in aggregate and anonymous terms about consumers who click on their advertising or other messages. IP addresses are also used for systems administration and troubleshooting purposes.
Cars.com collects mobile information such as your device and hardware IDs and device type, the request type, your carrier, your carrier user ID, and the content of your request, which does not by itself identify you, though it may be unique or consist of or contain information that you may consider personal. Cars.com may collect geo-location information (this may include when you use location-based products and services on the Site, and/or turn on location-based services on your mobile device). This information may reveal your actual location, such as GPS data, or it may not, such as when you submit a partial address to look at a map of the area. All requests may be sent through your mobile carrier's network and your carrier may have access to it. For information regarding your carrier's treatment of your information, please consult your carrier's privacy policies.
Cars.com shares the personally identifiable information that you provide with third parties in the following cases:
2. Requests. If you request information or services through the Site, you agree that Cars.com may share personally identifiable information with third parties as may be necessary to provide such information to or perform such services for you. For example, if you use the Site's "Email the Dealer" form in a vehicle listing to request a price quote from a dealership, Cars.com will share the information you entered with that dealership (or its designee). If that vehicle listing was provided by an automobile manufacturer on behalf of a dealer, Cars.com may also share the personally identifiable information you submit as part of the request with the automobile manufacturer and/or its affiliates. Similarly, if through the Site you request additional information from a financial institution, Cars.com will share your information with that institution. Personally identifiable information also may be included in reports to these third parties, but only when you have intended to submit the information to the third party as described above. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties' privacy policies and practices and Cars.com does not control their subsequent use or disclosure of information.
3. Sweepstakes/Promotions. In the event that you participate in a sweepstakes, contest or other promotion on the Site that is sponsored by Cars.com and a third party, Cars.com reserves the right to share personally identifiable information collected in conjunction with the sweepstakes, contest or promotion with the third party. After the information is provided to such third parties, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties' privacy policies and practices.
4. Direct Marketing. Except as provided herein, it is Cars.com's general practice not to disclose personally identifiable information of our customers to third parties specifically for the third parties' direct marketing purposes. If you are 18 years of age or older and have affirmatively agreed to receive third-party direct marketing materials, Cars.com may share personally identifiable information with third parties for direct marketing purposes. Although Cars.com will notify all third-party direct marketers that the information provided to them is confidential, the subsequent use or disclosure of such information is subject to those third parties' privacy policies and practices.
5. Service Providers. Cars.com may work with third parties that provide services on its behalf, including, among others, providers of analytical, attribution, development, promotional, research, credit card processing, technical and other services. For example, Cars.com may ask that a third party conduct an online survey or sweepstakes or send newsletters on its behalf. Similarly, if you make a payment to Cars.com by credit card, Cars.com may share your personally identifiable information and credit card information with a third party in order to process credit card transactions, or such information may be collected directly by the credit card processing service provider on Cars.com's behalf. In such cases, Cars.com asks that the third party maintain your personally identifiable information as confidential and use the information only to perform the services specified by Cars.com.
6. Email List Opt-Outs. In the event Cars.com sends promotional emails to you on behalf of third-party advertisers and you inform Cars.com you wish to opt out of future promotional emails from a particular third party, Cars.com may share your email address with that third party so the third party may add you to its opt-out lists.
7. Other. Cars.com expressly reserves the right to release any personally identifiable information or other information you provide to third parties under the following circumstances: (a) when required by law or legal process, (b) to investigate and/or take action against illegal activity, suspected abuse or unauthorized use of the Site, (c) to protect the property or safety of our users or others, (d) to enforce our Terms of Service and (e) in connection with any sale or other transfer of ownership of all or a part of Cars.com. Further, if you make any personally identifiable information publicly available on the Site, Cars.com reserves the right to disclose such information to third parties, including, without limitation, insurance companies and Cars.com's affiliates and third-party distribution partners.
Please note that the messages that Cars.com sends to you to confirm, fulfill or follow up on a request may incidentally include promotional material or other content from Cars.com or its partners. Cars.com reserves the right to share Usage Data with any third party for any reason.
Your personally identifiable information is one of our most valuable assets. We take steps to keep it physically secure in our data centers and it is accessible only to authorized personnel as needed to perform operations governed by this policy. In addition, when Cars.com collects credit card information from you, Cars.com uses Secure Socket Layer (SSL) encryption, the industry standard for protecting privacy in web transactions. Please keep in mind that despite these measures, Cars.com cannot guarantee or warrant 100 percent security of its servers and databases. Moreover, Cars.com cannot guarantee that personally identifiable information that you submit through the Site will not be intercepted or otherwise disclosed.
Cars.com believes that it is especially important to protect children's privacy online. Cars.com does not knowingly collect or use any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13 and Cars.com does not knowingly provide any personally identifiable information, regardless of its source, to any third party for any purpose whatsoever from visitors younger than 13 years old. No information should be submitted to or posted at Cars.com by visitors younger than 13 years old.
This Site contains links to other sites. While Cars.com encourages our business partners to adopt privacy policies that build users' trust and confidence in the internet, Cars.com is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of websites linked to the Site or any third-party products or services offered through the Site.
If you are a California or Nevada resident, state law may provide you with additional rights regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California or Nevada privacy rights, please visit the NewCars.com California & Nevada Privacy Notice.
This Site is intended for use solely in the United States by U.S. residents. Cars.com makes no claims that the Site is appropriate for use outside of the United States. Cars.com does not knowingly collect or solicit personal information from residents of the European Union. If you believe that we may have any information from or about an EU resident, please email us at email@example.com or use our online feedback form. No information should be submitted to or posted at Cars.com by any EU resident.
Third-party service providers may also collect information from your devices and may combine personal and non-personal information about you with information from other sources including your visits to this and other websites, mobile websites and/or mobile applications across your various devices. These activities may enable them to identify you in order to provide content and advertisements about goods and services of interest to you across those various devices.
If you would like to obtain more information about the practices of some of these parties, or if you would like to make choices about their use of your information, please click here:
More information and additional consumer choice options may be found at this link:
Information and opportunities to opt out of information use and recognition services of our partners Adobe and LiveRamp may be found at these links:
Information and additional consumer choice options regarding mobile device tracking may be found at these links:
IDFA limit ad tracking:
AAID reset and opt-out:
Cars.com adheres to the Self-Regulatory Principles for Online Behavioral Advertising. For more information please visit http://www.aboutads.info.
Finally, additional information regarding our use of your personal information, as well as options for deleting and opting out of information use, may be found at the NewCars.com California & Nevada Privacy Notice.
Finally, you may also mail us at:
Attn: NewCars.com Privacy at Customer Care
300 S. Riverside, Suite 1000
Chicago, IL 60606
©2019 Cars.com, LLC, 300 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1000, Chicago, IL 60606
Last Updated — December 17, 2019